I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – I am a sweet and salty kind of gal. If I don’t have to choose, I won’t. I want the combo, and boy oh boy do these Pretzel Rice Krispie Treats DELIVER. They’re sweet, salty, crunchy, chewy, and pretty magical. They’re easy to whip up (no baking required, woo!), and they’re perfect to make for a crowd. I’ll be bringing these to cookouts all season long for sure.
Making Pretzel Rice Krispie Treats
These are pretty much foolproof, in that there’s no real baking required. Just melt, mix, press, and let cool. I find that as the weather gets nicer, I lean on these types of quick, easy recipes instead of more complex ones that keep me in the kitchen for hours. To make these you’ll need:
- Puffed rice cereal (or use a puffed kamut, crisp rice, or any other crunchy cereal that you like). I opted for a whole grain puffed rice for some added fiber.
- Pretzels, which you’ll crush up so they’ll be woven throughout the treats. If you want to make these totally gluten free, just substitute a gluten free pretzel.
- Vanilla extract to add flavor (trust me, it makes a big difference)
- Butter (or you can use smart balance or another butter substitute)
Line a 9×9 pan with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray to prevent sticking and set aside. Crush your pretzels and mix them with your puffed rice in a large bowl, set aside.
Meanwhile, place a medium saucepan over medium heat and add butter. Melt, then add marshmallows and stir consistently. The marshmallows will begin to melt quickly, and you want to keep stirring to incorporate the butter and get a silky texture. Once melted, add vanilla extract and stir to combine. Pour over the rice/pretzel mix and stir immediately (while it’s hot!) to fully coat. Pour mixture into your prepared 9×9 pan and gently press it down until it’s even. Add extra pretzels on top (or chocolate chips, nuts, or any toppings you like) and let cool in the fridge for 2-4 hours. Once completely cool, slice into 12 pieces and enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Pretzel Rice Krispie Treats
- Medium saucepan
- Large Mixing Bowl
- 9×9 Pan
- 3 cups puffed rice
- 2 cups pretzels, crushed
- 10 oz marshmallows
- 1 Tsp vanilla
- 4 tbsp butter or smart balance butter substitute
- Line 9×9 pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Crush pretzels and combine with puffed rice in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter and add marshmallows. Stir continuously as the marshmallows start to melt. Once mostly melted, add vanilla and stir until you have a smooth mixture. Pour the mixture (careful, it'll be hot) over the pretzel/rice cereal mix and quickly stir it all together to fully coat. Pour the mixture into your lined pan and using a spoon that you've sprayed with cooking spray (to prevent sticking), pat the mixture down until its even and firmly packed.
- Let cool for 3-4 hours, slice, and enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container.