I don’t know about you, but I ALWAYS keep a few boxes of cake mix on hand. It’s perfect for whipping up a last minute cake/cupcake, and yes, even turning into cookies. These funfetti cake mix cookies are simple as can be, made quick and easy by starting with a box of cake mix. I jazzed these up with festive sprinkles for easter, but you can decorate them however you like and have soft, indulgent cookies year round.
Making funfetti cake mix cookies
Since half of the work is already done for you when you use cake mix, these cookies are SUPER quick and easy. No joke. 5 ingredients, and like 3 steps to cookie perfection. To make these you’ll need:
- Cake mix (I usually use a white or yellow cake mix, and you can use Funfetti cake or add sprinkles yourself)
- Egg, to bind it all
- Cream cheese (trust me)
- Butter, which really makes everything better
First, preheat your oven. In a bowl, beat your cream cheese and softened butter together until you have a smooth mixture. Add your vanilla and your egg, and mix well. Then, add cake mix (and sprinkles if not using a Funfetti cake mix) and stir until you have a uniform batter. Chill dough in the fridge for 30-60 minutes to firm up. Shape dough into roughly 1 inch balls, placing them 2 inches apart on a prepared cookie sheet. I absolutely swear by silicone baking mats for cookies – no grease, no stick. If desired, decorate the tops with sprinkles before baking (or after if they’re not heat-friendly).
Your cookies are done when they’re just set (about 10 min or so – you don’t want them heavily browned). Then, decorate away! Drizzle with melted chocolate, cover with sprinkles, or enjoy as is!
Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
- Mixing Bowls
- Baking Sheet
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 1 box of funfetti cake mix
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Mix butter with cream cheese until you have a smooth, uniform mixture. Add vanilla, egg, and mix.
- Combine cake mix with wet mixture and stir together until smooth.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls on a prepared/lined baking sheet, roughly 2 inches apart.
- Bake at 350 for ~9-13 min (until just set). Allow to cool.
- Decorate with some additional fun sprinkles, chocolate drizzle, candy eggs, etc – enjoy!