This past weekend, a friend put me on to Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel Dip and I was hooked. Seriously, I put away half the container in a matter of minutes (no shame). The ingredients seemed simple enough, and I realized that I could probably make my own version of it. I ALWAYS keep Greek Yogurt in my fridge (it’s one of my favorite baking swaps to make things a bit lighter), and I always have Everything Bagel Seasoning in my cupboard, so I played around and voila – I made this insanely delicious dip.
In addition to being a healthy alternative to other dips, you can save some money by making this yourself! Trader Joe’s sells EBTB Dip for $3.49 for an 8 oz tub. The cost of a 35.3 oz container of Fage 0% yogurt is roughly $5, and the cost of a 4.8 oz container of everything bagel seasoning is around $4.89, so you can make an 8 oz for roughly $2.27 when you make your own. Keeping in mind that one bottle of Everything Bagel Seasoning will last you many many many batches, that price goes down if you make more.
TLDR; make EBTB dip at home, it’s cheaper and super easy. As an added bonus, if you’re on Weight Watchers, this dip is 0 points on Blue and Purple plans. It’s delicious, high in protein, and guilt-free!
What goes into it?
This dip is gloriously simple, with just 3 ingredients. You can whip it up quickly and have it ready within minutes, which is ideal when hanger starts to set in. To make this dip, you need:
- Greek Yogurt. This is the main ingredient/base of the dip, and I personally prefer Fage 0%. It doesn’t upset my stomach (and I am dairy sensitive), tastes great, and is super versatile. It’s a key ingredient in some of my other recipes, such as Everything Bagel Dogs, Lighter Chocolate Cake, and Blueberry Cinnamon Greek Yogurt Muffins.
- Everything Bagel Seasoning. I grab a big jar from Target or Trader Joe’s, but you can also make your own.
- White Vinegar. A little goes a long way here – it thins out the dip while also adding a bit of tang, which gives the dip almost a Ranch Dressing flavor.
How is it made?
Making this dip is as simple as straining your yogurt and combining all of the ingredients. It literally takes minutes to make. However, the straining step is crucial to achieve the proper texture. I like a firmer dip that holds up to whatever I dip in it, and regular Greek Yogurt tends to be a bit too liquid for my liking. Luckily, straining it is super easy. If you have a cheesecloth, you can use that to strain out the liquid so you’re left with a consistency similar to cream cheese. If you don’t have a cheesecloth, you can use paper towels. Just put 3 or 4 down, scoop out the Greek Yogurt onto it, and use 3 more paper towels on top. Gently press until the paper towels are soaked. They should then come right off of the yogurt and you can plop it into a container – I’ve never had an issue with it sticking!
Everything Bagel Dip
- Mixing Bowl
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt I prefer Fage 0%
- 2.5 tbsp Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- Cut veggies crackers, chips for dipping
- Strain Greek Yogurt in a cheesecloth or using a paper towel. You want your yogurt to have the consistency of cream cheese – a bit thicker than typical yogurt. If using paper towels, simply put 3 down, scoop yogurt onto them, and use 3 on top to lightly press until paper towels are soaked through and you're left with a thicker mixture.
- Combine strained yogurt with Everything Bagel Seasoning in a bowl and mix until thoroughly combined
- Add white vinegar and stir until dip is uniform. Dip will initially have some crunch from the seasoning, but if you let it sit for 15 minutes or so, the seasoning softens up!
- Serve with cut vegetables, chips, or crackers
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week