Funny enough, this recipe was literally created while I was waiting for another recipe (my Gluten Free Cookies and Milk Cake) was baking. I was bumbling around the kitchen, looking for a snack. One of my go-to snacks is always Greek Yogurt + something – be it jam, fruit, etc. As I was holding my giant tub of Greek Yogurt (I go through so much I always buy the huge ones), I got to thinking – how could I make something different, something summery, something delicious?
I love experimenting with new flavor combos, and given that I had a few limes sitting in my fruit basket, I got to thinking. Could I make a dip that tastes like one of my favorite desserts – Key Lime Pie?
The answer? You freakin’ bet. This dip came together in a few minutes, required no real cooking or baking, and literally tastes like Key Lime Pie. It’s light and fluffy, tart, and just slightly sweet, making it a perfect snack or dessert! This dip is sure to be a hit at your next summer gathering.
Making the dip
This dip really is as simple as it gets – grab your ingredients, stir them together, and serve. The components are:
- Greek yogurt, which gives the dip some tang (and lots of protein!)
- Cool Whip, which makes the dip fluffy and slightly sweet
- Lime zest and lime juice, for that key lime flavor
- Powdered sugar for a little extra sweetness that doesn’t compromise texture
I serve this dip with graham crackers, which can easily be broken into little dipper-sized pieces. It also acts as the ‘graham cracker crust’ making this truly taste like a key lime pie!
Best of all? It’s waaaay lighter. Traditional key lime pie is made with lots of sugar and butter, whereas this dip just has sugar from the Cool Whip and then 2 tbsp of powdered sugar. Since the majority of this dip is Greek Yogurt, it’s Weight Watchers friendly, diet friendly, and downright delicious.
Storing the dip
Greek yogurt has a tendency to release liquid, which ends up sitting on top of it. To avoid this happening to your dip, I recommend straining as much liquid as possible out of the yogurt before you make it. The easiest way to strain it is to wring it out through a paper towel or cheesecloth, which will minimize that weird liquid-on-top situation.
For that same reason, I recommend making this when you plan to eat it. If you need to store it, an airtight container in the fridge will do, but I wouldn’t store it for more than a day or two, and you may need to either skim off or mix in any liquid that may be released from the yogurt when it’s stored overnight.
There are lots of ways you can substitute parts of this dip to make it work for you!
- Substitute Greek yogurt with any other yogurt – just expect a slightly different consistency. If you’re non-dairy or vegan, a plant-based yogurt would work fine.
- Substitute powdered artificial sweetener for sugar if you’re looking to avoid added sugar.
- Substitute non-dairy whipped topping (not whipped cream from a can) to make this a non-dairy treat!
- If you’re looking to keep it low carb, swap graham crackers for some fresh fruit and voila!
Looking for more lightened up desserts?
You’re in luck – I make lots of them! Check out some of these favorites:
- Lighter Chocolate Cupcake
- PB & J Mini Buns
- Light Cereal Milk Baked Donuts
- Healthier Funfetti Cinnamon Buns
- Lighter Chocolate Cake with Greek Yogurt Frosting
- Light Lemon Cake Donuts
*Commission links below. If you shop through these links, I get a small percentage of the sale, at no extra cost to you!
Let’s make Light Key Lime Pie Dip!
Makes 4 servings at 4 WW SP each. You can reduce the points by reducing the amount of Cool Whip or removing the powdered sugar to make it 3 WW SP!
- 2/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt, strained
- 1 cup Cool Whip whipped topping (any kind works)
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- Zest and juice of one lime
- Graham crackers for dipping
- Strain out as much moisture as possible from Greek yogurt using a cheesecloth or paper towel
- Combine yogurt and cool whip in a bowl and whisk together until you have a fluffy mixture
- Add lime juice and lime zest, followed by powdered sugar
- Whisk mixture together until it is fluffy and uniform
- Top with extra lime zest for garnish, serve with graham crackers for dipping, and ENJOY!
If you like these, leave a comment! Be sure to tag me on Instagram @foodbythegram if you make them as well!