I love pumpkin all year round – it’s just one of my favorite flavors. So, when a pumpkin craving hit, I knew I had to whip something up. This cake is moist, light, and fluffy, but it’s made with all-natural, better-for-you ingredients, and it’s totally grain free!
Makes 2 8 inch rounds or 12 cupcakes!
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup almond butter
- 2/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 4 eggs
- 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice (1/2 tsp ground ginger + 1/4 tsp nutmeg + 1 tsp cinnamon + 1/4 tsp cloves)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 12 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Combine pumpkin, almond butter, eggs (beaten), honey, vanilla, salt, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and stir together until smooth batter forms.
- Pour into greased pan and bake for ~30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean
- While cake cools, combine frosting ingredients and mix in a blender at medium speed until fully combined and frosting is fluffy. Put in fridge before icing cake.
- To make a ‘half cake,’ cut entire recipe in half, and bake a single 9″ round. Then, cut the 9″ round in half, frost one half, and put the other half on top, creating a perfect half-circle cake. Frost fully, cut a slice, and enjoy!